1. We can’t ______ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
A. hope B. wait C. expect D. imagine
2. The noise was so ______ that only those with excellent hearing were aware of it.
A. dim B. soft C. faint D. gentle
3. His landlady gave him a week’s ______ to leave the flat.
A. threat B. notice C. advice D. caution
4. When I took his temperature, it was two degrees above ______.
A. average B. ordinary C. regular D. normal
5. It is clear that the whole world is passing through a social revolution in which a central ______ must be taken by scientists and technologists.
A. process B. attention C. measure D. part